The development team at Rewind is made up of four small teams of 2 to 3 people; these people work together, collaboratively, to build new features and functions for our amazing customers.
In broad terms, each member of the team is responsible for the following:
- Collaborating with other members of the development team to derive the best possible design to meet requirements
- Implementing, testing, documenting, and maintaining back-end systems for multiple high-traffic services
- Providing constructive feedback in the form of code and design reviews
- Looking for ways to improve our development and deployment processes
- Ensuring security and performance of our products
Day to day, you will work alongside other members of the team to bring new features to our growing list of services. Rewind is a large system made up of several components that all interwork in harmony. Some ideas we have in the backlog that have not made their way into our services include user management, action auditing, anomaly detection, dynamic reporting, exporting, trend analysis, real-time data translation, copy…
Developing reliable, securable, scalable, supportable code is a must. You will help put out some fires, especially the ones you accidentally created (we are big on accountability, you break it, you fix it), including incident response and remediation, but your main focus will be the reliability and robustness in all the things you help build. Less-flammable apps; fewer smouldering embers; automated fire suppression.
You need an observant eye for details, whether it’s with code, spelling, or something else entirely. Prove it to us – address your cover letter to Ms. Rails.
This job isn’t about moving heaven and earth. Yes, we want to be proud of running top-flight, healthy products, but we also want to be kind, considerate, fair, flexible, and calm. Especially in crisis.
Here are some real examples of the work we’ve done lately that might help you to get a better idea of what this job entails:
- Adoption of Shopify’s new versioned API - this one keeps us in business!
- Support for Shopify’s new bulk APIs; this cut our operating costs (fewer servers) and increased the speed of our backups.
- Rewind Copy for QuickBooks; #1 feature request for QuickBooks customers, move your data from here to there and make it easy.
- Rewind API (version 1); services that want to power data resiliency in their apps with Rewind can now do so.
- Hooking Hubspot into various areas of our product to capture customer events for sales/marketing.
- Addressing multiple code and database scaling challenges in the processing of daily backups for our American BigCommerce customers.
- Adding support for new entry level pricing plans that required creating limitations in product functionality.
- Implementing a new first time user experience features to https://app.rewind.io.
- Upgrading all applicable components from Rails 5 to Rails 6.
- Enhancements to our administrative interface (the one that support, sales, and marketing rely on) to bundle customers, change billing plans, and cancel subscriptions.
- Aggregating Webhooks with DynamoDB and SQS Delay Queues
This is a snapshot of our experience running production-grade services and a capable, supportive team for the long haul. Your experience and background will join ours! We have worlds to learn and we’re eager to do it together. You can expect to teach us, coach us, and expect the same in return.
You are a perfect match for this role if you’re someone who possesses great troubleshooting and analytical skills, you’re an exceptional communicator, you have prior experience building or maintaining Ruby on Rails-based applications, and you have a curious mind for how things work and what makes them tick.
You should enjoy making complicated situations simple and painless. You should be a stellar communicator, even when you have to communicate less-than-stellar news. You should have highly tuned senses of compassion and empathy and a drive to constantly help others.
You might have a CS degree. You might not. That’s not what we’re looking for. We care about what you can do and how you do it, not about how you got here. A strong track record of conscientious, thoughtful work speaks volumes.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Rewind is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.